Houston is a city full of culture and history, and there’s always something new to explore. Whether you’re a local or just in town for a visit, here are some tips to help make the most of your time in Houston.
1. Visit the Museum District
Houston’s Museum District is home to 19 museums, all within walking distance of one another. Whether you’re interested in art, history, science, or nature, there’s sure to be a museum for you. And best of all, many of the museums offer free admission on specific days or hours.
2. Take a stroll through Hermann Park
Hermann Park is one of Houston’s most beloved green spaces. The park is home to the Houston Zoo, the Miller Outdoor Theatre, and the Hermann Park Golf Course. It’s also a great place for a picnic or a leisurely stroll.
3. Check out the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
Every year, Houston hosts the world’s largest livestock show and rodeo. The event features a wide variety of attractions, including live music, carnival rides, and of course, rodeo competitions. It’s a great way to experience some of Houston’s culture and tradition.
4. Explore the Space Center Houston
The Space Center Houston is the perfect place for anyone who’s interested in space exploration. The center offers tours of NASA’s Johnson Space Center, as well as a variety of interactive exhibits. It’s a great way to learn about Houston’s role in the history of spaceflight.
5. Visit the Buffalo Bayou Park
The Buffalo Bayou Park is a 160-acre park that runs along the Buffalo Bayou river. The park offers a variety of activities, including hiking, biking, and kayaking. It’s also home to a number of art installations and sculptures.
6. Sample the local cuisine
Houston is known for its diverse food scene, and there’s no better way to experience it than by sampling the local cuisine. From Tex-Mex to Cajun and everything in between, Houston has something for everyone.
7. Catch a game at Minute Maid Park
Minute Maid Park is home to the Houston Astros, and it’s a great place to catch a game. The park also offers a variety of other attractions, including a rooftop deck, a playground, and a batting cage.
8. Shop at the Galleria
The Galleria is one of Houston’s most popular shopping destinations. The mall features more than 350 stores, as well as a food court, an ice rink, and a movie theater. It’s the perfect place to find a souvenir or two.
9. Visit the Houston Zoo
The Houston Zoo is home to more than 6,000 animals, and it’s one of the most popular tourist destinations in the city. The zoo offers a variety of exhibits, as well as educational programs and animal encounters.
10. Take a tour of the historic Market Square
Market Square is one of Houston’s oldest and most historic neighborhoods. The area is home to a variety of shops and restaurants, as well as the Houston Public Library and the Union Station. It’s the perfect place to spend an afternoon exploring Houston’s past.
Historical sites in Houston
Some popular historical sites in Houston include the Sam Houston Memorial Museum, the Jesse H. Jones Hall for the Performing Arts, and the Houston Museum of Fine Arts.
- Located in downtown Houston, Sam Houston Memorial Museum is dedicated to preserving the legacy of one of Texas’ most important historical figures. The museum offers interactive exhibits, a research library, and educational programs for visitors of all ages.
- The Jesse H. Jones Hall for the Performing Arts is one of Houston’s most iconic concert venues. The hall is home to the Houston Symphony and the Houston Grand Opera, and has hosted world-renowned performers such as Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman.