LES MISERABLES (2,808 screens) stormed the U.S. Box Office for its opening day gross of a huge $18m and sources around the trades are suggesting that Universal were hoping for $10m opening day for the famed musical. Well there’s a present for you to round out your stellar, record breaking year Universal!
DJANGO UNCHAINED (3,100 screens) also hit pay dirt on Christmas day raking in $15m. It’s a smashing result for Sony/Weinstein in consideration the film is a hard R, 167 minutes long and reportedly very violent. Not that violence is a huge deterrent in the States, moreso its kind of against the yuletide spirit.
THE HOBBIT (4,100+ screens) slipped into 3rd with $11.3m for the day, the film has now amassed north of $168m in the U.S.
Here’s the U.S. Christmas Day Top Ten (via Deadline)
1. Les Misérables (Working Title/Universal) NEW [Runs 2,808]
Christmas Day $18.0M
2. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) NEW [Runs 3,010]
Christmas Day $15.0M
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (MGM/WB) Week 2 [Runs 4,100]
Christmas Day $11.3M, Cume $168.3M
4. Parental Guidance (Chernin/Fox) NEW [Runs 3,358]
Christmas Day $6.4M
5. Jack Reacher (Skydance/Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 3,352]
Christmas Day $5.3M, Cume $23.2M
6. This Is 40 (Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,913]
Christmas Day $4.4M, Cume $17.3M
8. The Guilt Trip (Skydance/Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 2,431]
Christmas Day $2.6M, Cume $11.0M
8. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 7 [Runs 1,966]
Christmas Day $2.3M, Cume $120.2M
9. Monsters Inc 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 1 [Runs 2,618]
Christmas Day $1.4M, Cume $8.4M
10. Skyfall (MGM/Sony) Week 7 [Runs 1,637]
Christmas Day $1.3M, Cume $282.4M