THE DARK KNIGHT RISES brought the weekend home in the U.S. to a $64m result, about 60% off week on week (early estimates on Friday had it tracking to a lot less than this), where the film really rallied over Saturday and Sunday.
Both THE WATCH and STEP UP 4 pulled up short with $13m and $11m weekends respectively.
I previously alighted that the business was down partially in the wake of the Aurora tragedy but I also forgot to mention one major factor in this weekends results – THE OLYMPICS.
NBC scored the highest ratings record ever for a Summer Olympics games opening ceremony telecast with 40 million viewers tuning in to watch the spectacle Friday night. Then, the first day of competition 21 million viewers watch the games.
The opening ceremony had 40.7 million viewers and scored a 21.0 national rating and 37 share. The first night of competition had 28.7 million average viewers and 15.8/29 national rating.- Tim Molloy The Wrap
Here’s the top ten box office U.S. for the weekend courtesy of deadline.com:
1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week 2 [4,404 Runs] PG13
Friday $18.0M, Saturday $25.6M, Weekend $64.0M (-60%), Cume $289.0M
2. Ice Age 4 3D (Fox) Week 3 [3,869 Runs) PG
Friday $4.1M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $13.3M, Cume $114.8M
3. The Watch (Fox) NEW 3,168 Runs) R
Friday $4.5M, Saturday $4.9M, Weekend $13M
4. Step Up Revolution 3D (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [2,567 Runs) PG13
Friday $5.0M, Saturday 3.9M, Weekend $11.8M
5. Ted (Universal) Week 5 [3,129 Runs) R
Friday $2.1M, Saturday $3.0M, Weekend $7.3M, Cume $193.6M
6. The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Col/Sony) Week 4 [3,160 Run]
Friday $1.8M, Saturday $2.9M, Weekend $6.8M, Cume $242.0M
7. Brave 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 6 [2,551 Runs] PG
Friday $1.2M, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $4.2M, Cume $217.2M
8. Magic Mike (Warner Bros) Week 5 [2,075 Runs] R
Friday $800K, Saturday $1.0M, Weekend $2.5M, Cume $107.5M
9. Savages (Universal) Week 4 [1,414 Runs] R
Friday $480K, Saturday $742K, Weekend $1.7M, Cume $43.8M
10. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 9 [853 Runs] PG13
Friday $363K, Saturday $614K, Weekend $1.3M, Cume $38.3M