ICE AGE 4: CONTINENTAL DRIFT opened on Friday in the States and safely sailed to the top of the U.S. Box Office with a $45m weekend haul. Compared to the other major studio animated releases THE LORAX (UNI – $70m), BRAVE (DIS – $60m) and MADAGASCAR (PAR – $55m) this one has been the softest opener of the year. But hey $45m opening weekend for most anything is still a great result.
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is still kicking ass with another $35m for the 3 days to take the American gross past $200m in 11 days.
TED is also hanging in there for another $23m for its 3rd weekend taking the R Rated comedy to a $159m haul.
Below are the top ten results courtesy of Deadline.com
1. Ice Age 4 3D (Blue Sky/Fox) NEW [3,879 Theaters] PG
Friday $16.5M, Saturday $16.5M, Weekend $45.5M
2. Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Col/Sony) Week 2 [4,318 Theaters] PG13
Friday $10.3M, Saturday $14M, Weekend $35M (-44%), Cume $200.9M
3. Ted (Universal) Week 3 [3,303 Theaters] R
Friday $6.9M, Saturday $8.9M, Weekend $23.0M, Cume $159.8M
4. Brave 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 4 [3,392 Theaters] PG
Friday $3.4M, Saturday $4.4M, Weekend $10.9M, Cume $195.8M
5. Magic Mike (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,090 Theaters] R
Friday $3.2M, SaturdayWeekend $8.5M, Cume $91.5M
6. Savages (Universal) Week 2 [2,635 Theaters] R
Friday $2.7M, Saturday $3.7M, Weekend $9.2M (-42%), Cume $31.9M
7. Madea’s Witness Protection (TPerry/Lgate) Week 3 [2,004 Theaters]
Friday $1.7M, Saturday $2.4M, Weekend $5.7M, Cume $55.5M
8. Katy Perry 3D (Insurge/Paramount) Week 2 [2,732 Theaters] PG
Friday $1.3M, Saturday $1.4M, Weekend $3.7M, Cume $18.6M
9. Madasgascar 3 3D (DWA/Par) Week 6 [2,285 Theaters] PG
Friday $1.0M, Saturday $1.5M, Weekend $3.5M, Cume $203.8M
10. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 7 [924 Theaters] PG13
Friday $1.0M, Saturday $1.4M, Weekend $3.4M, Cume $32.2M