As expected Ridley Scott’s 3D PROMETHEUS enamoured Aussie cinema audiences this weekend raking in $9.2m for the 5 days of trade. The film dominated multiplexes and IMAX and was 206% ahead of its nearest box office competitor which is…
3D MEN IN BLACK 3, who had a sensational hold, only dropping 23% week on week against the massive competition that was 3D PROMETHEUS. The film has now clicked over $3m for the long weekend and has pushed its gross to $14.1m. This is great news for the franchise picture as the long weekend will now see the film push past it’s forecast and make some great strides to hit U.S. pro rata.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU’RE EXPECTING behaved exactly as a counter programming title should, holding its own against the sci-fi giants and pulling in $2.3m for the long weekend. The flm has now corssed $5.5m nationally and only had a 16% drop week on week.
FRIENDS WITH KIDS, the other femme skew dramedy that released, had less of a stellar opening coming in 6th with a $650k for the long weekend.
1. 3D PROMETHEUS – FOX – Week 1 – $9.2m – cume $9.6m (forecast $23m)
2. 3D MEN IN BLACK 3 – SON – Week 3 – $3m – cume $14.1m (forecast $18m)
3. WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU’RE EXPECTING – RDS – Week 2 – $2.3m – $5.5m (forecast $8m)
4. 3D THE AVENGERS – DIS – Week 7 – $1.75m – $51.3m ($52.5m)
5. THE DICTATOR – PAR – Week 4 – $1.01m – $13.1m (forecast $15m)
6. FRIENDS WITH KIDS – RDS – Week 1 – $650k – cume $738k (forecast $1.8m)
7. DARK SHADOWS – RDS – Week 5 – $570k – cume $10.42m (forecast $11.2m)
8. THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL – FOX – Week 7 – $250k – cume $20.94m (forecast $21.5m)
9. THE WAY – UMB – Week 7 – $195k – cume $1.41m (forecast $2m)
10. SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN – RDS – Week 10 – $185k – cume $4.22m (forecast $4.6m)
Figures from RENTRAK. Forecasts thelowdownunder.