It was all about THE AVENGERS again this weekend in Australia as the film sailed to a mighty $5.3m 4 day weekend gross. As of tomorrow the film will have grossed $40m domestically making it the highest grossing film of the year so far and also the quickest $40m gross out of school holidays ever.
Much like the U.S., Tim Burton’s DARK SHADOWS came out 2nd best to THE AVENGERS but not without a major promo push (DARK was everywhere here! Bravo RDS!) and mush banter on social networks. The good news for DARK SHADOWS locally is that Australia is well ahead on U.S pro rata with our gross for the 4days at $3.8m against a U.S. $28.8m or a 13.2% pro rata result. the high concept supernatural comedy certainly didn’t wimper this weekend just gone.
As expected, as the only straight laced romantic comedy in the market place, THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT held on with only a 31% week on week drop off with a $1.4m weekend. Behaving like solid counter programming, Universal’s picture has ticked over a $4m cumulative so far.
The Jason Statham actioner SAFE wasn’t as solid as it could’ve been but it should be noted that it went out on about 100 screens less than DARK SHADOWS and THE AVENGERS – the film got belted by THE AVENGERS moreso than anything but still raked in just under $500k for the 4 days. It certainly wasn’t without a lack of promotion (key art was all over Trams and bus shelters in Melbourne for example) and hats off to ICON for really driving it.
The high concept sci-fi comedy IRON SKY suffered a tough weekend result to finish on $116k off 45 prints, but outside of it’s final figures HOYTS should be commended for taking a punt on such a genre mash. This is one hell of a property to try and sell to a market and when you are competing against THE AVENGERS, DARK SHADOWS and to a degree SAFE they’ve done a great job to get a foothold in the market.
1. THE AVENGERS – DIS – Week 3 – $5.3m – cume $39m (forecast $49m)
2. DARK SHADOWS – RDS – Week 1 – $3.8m – (forecast $13m)
3. THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT – UNI – Week 2 – $1.4m – cume $4m (forecast $7.5m)
4. THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL – FOX – Week 8 – $530k – cume $19.6m (forecast $20.3m)
5. SAFE – ICON – Week 1 – $500k – (forecast $1.5m)
6. THE LUCKY ONE – RDS – Week 4 – $350k – cume $6.4m (forecast $6.8m)
7. THE HUNGER GAMES – RDS – Week 8 – $210k – cume $30.67m (forecast $30.8m)
8. SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN – RDS – Week 6 – $205k – cume $3.31m (forecast $3.5m)
9. ACT OF VALOUR – RDS – Week 2 – $175k – cume$772k (forecast $900k)
10. WISH YOU WERE HERE – E1/HOP – Week 3 – $159k – cume $880k (forecast $1.1m)