KABOOM! Well the race is on now for the highest grossing film of the year – can THE DARK KNIGHT RISES sail past these heights when it bows in July? Who cares!?!?! What a result – such a great time to be in cinemas! Congratulations to Disney, Marvel and Paramount.
Here’s a heap of stats on the film thanks to Nikki Finke over at Deadline.
Biggest domestic opening weekend of all time.
· Fastest film to reach $200M (3 days).
· Highest Saturday of all time: $69.7M.
· 8th biggest midnights opening.
· Biggest superhero midnights debut.
· Passed domestic totals for Captain America and Thor.
· Passed international box office totals of Captain America ($192M), Iron Man ($266.7M), Thor ($268.3M), and Iron Man 2 ($311.5M) in 12 days of release.
· Biggest opening weekend of all time in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Central America, Peru, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines.
· Biggest Marvel opening weekend in Russia (May 3): $17.9M.
· Passed the global box office totals of Captain America ($364M) and Thor ($449M) and Iron Man ($585M) and Iron Man 2 ($624M).
· 110 domestic IMAX locations established a new opening Saturday record.
· Biggest IMAX domestic opening weekend for a digital only release.
· Highest grossing opening weekend in IMAX’s history
· Domestic weekend estimate from all 4,349 theaters: $200.3M.
· Domestic weekend theater average: $46,063.
· International weekend estimate: $151.5M
· In 52 territories representing about 95% of the international market.
· International cume: $441.5M
· Global cume estimate: $641.8M
· Crossed the $600M global box office threshold today after just 12 days of release.
· Performance to date in key international territories: UK $48.1M, Mexico $40.2M, Australia $32.2M, Korea $31.3M, Brazil $31.0M, France $26.4M, Italy $18.8M, Germany $18.3M, Russia $17.9M, China $17.4M, Spain $14.4M, Taiwan $14.3M, Philippines $11.5M.
· IMAX global total box office: $31.2M
here’s the link: http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/marvels-the-avengers-records-factoids/