|Year||Viewers||Winner||% Diff Year On Year|
|2002||41,800,000||A Beautiful Mind||-2.56%|
|2004||43,500,000||LOTR: The Return Of The King||31.82%|
|2005||42,100,000||Million Dollar Baby||-3.22%|
|2008||32,000,000||No Country For Old Men||-20.40%|
|2010||41,300,000||The Hurt Locker||13.77%|
|2011||37,900,000||The King’s Speech||-8.23%|
My thanks to Deadline for the figures and Yay a pretty picture graph thingy (woo hoo a first for the Lowdown – are we getting smart or something?)
So what can we glean from all this? Don’t ask me man I only work here!
- Whenever there were wide release in the Best Picture Category the numbers were up.
- 2004, being the highest watched of the past 11 years, belonged to LORD OF THE RINGS.
- 2010 is so high as it was the year AVATAR was up (and should’ve won), this was also the year that 10 Best Picture nominations came into play.
- 2008 was the lowest year for viewers with all 5 Best Picture nominations being limited or skewed releases: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, ATONEMENT, MICHAEL CLAYTON, JUNO
- 2009 was the year of the breakout hit SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and saw an increase in ratings, but again the Best Picture category featured limited release titles heavily in the nomination field: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, FROST/NIXON, MILK, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, THE READER
- The Oscars are in critical need to assess the cultural relevance of the event – if they want to telecast it you need a wider audience and to get them you need to start including films that have been commercial juggernauts so that punters can identify with your line up – they don’t have to win – they just need to be included.
- The SUPERBOWL did 3 times the viewers when it aired last month.
- HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART TWO should’ve been nominated in nearly every category and even if it lost the ratings would’ve been the highest in the past decade. To honour that $7b franchise would’ve been a ratings killer and DANIEL RADCLIFFE, EMMA WATSON & RUPERT GRINT should’ve hosted with the cast give out the awards. Ok rant over!