With no less than 4 new wide openers in the States last Friday (The Vow, Safe House, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island & 3D Star Wars Episode One) on this non holiday weekend – you could’ve safely assumed it would’ve been a bloodletting war of attrition at the box office… But it was anything but. In fact it was such a buck trend weekend that records got smashed everywhere. The top four films – all the new openers – grossed north of US$130m – a record for non holiday openers!
Also, THE VOW, a female skewed romantic drama starring Channing Tatum & Rachel McAdams, topped the shop beating out the Ryan Reynolds/Denzel Washington actioner SAFE HOUSE (again totally against demographic trends in the U.S.).
Here’s the top ten for Fri-Sun: (Figures courtesy of Deadline)
1. The Vow (Screen Gems/Sony) NEW [2,958 Theaters] – $41m
2. Safe House (Universal) NEW [3,119 Theaters] – $39M
3. Journey 2: Mysterious Island 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [3,470 Theaters] – $27M
4. Star Wars 3D: Phantom Menace (LucasFilm/Fox) NEW [2,655 Theaters] – $23M
5. Chronicle (Fox) Week 2 [2,908 Theater] – Weekend $12M (-46%), Cume $39.8M
6. The Woman In Black (CBS Films) Week 2 [2,856 Theaters] – Weekend $10.4M (-50%), Cume $35.6M
7. The Grey (Open Road) Week 3 [2,801 Theaters] – Weekend $5M, Cume $42.7M
8. Big Miracle (Working Title/Universal) Week 2 [2,133 Theaters] – Weekend $3.7M, Cume $13M
9. The Descendants (Fox Searchlight) Week 13 [1,581 Theaters] – Weekend $3.4M, Cume $70.6M
10. Underworld Awakening (Sony) Week 4 [1,657 Theaters] – Weekend $2.5M, Cume $58.9M