“This year will be New Zealand’s last Big Day Out. Come party with us this Friday. It’s been an amazing 18 years here in Auckland.”
BDO promoter Ken West tweeted this yesterday so sorry el New Zealand compadres BDO next year is a NO NO.
It’s no major news that the problems faced by music festivals these days are making it harder and harder to run them if you take into account:
- The proliferation of music festivals in the calendar
- Rising costs of venue hire, staffing and insurances
- Sky-rocketing talent costs
- Securing decent talent to ensure that your event is unique and commercial
- Competing for the consumer dollar with so much competition in the market would drastically reduce viability
With an oversupplied festival market and need for stringer headliners to set them apart you could easily imagine how much putting on a show like this would cost today vs what it would’ve cost 18 years ago!