With 4 new contenders in play (The Muppets, The Descendants, Hugo & The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) it truly was a record week for top quality film releases in Australia! All 4 of these films are spectacular entertainments and what a great time it is to be a cinema goer in the Aussie summer! So team here’s the top ten for the 4 day weekend (Thurs – Sun).
- SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS – RDS – Week 2 – $3.4m – Running Total $12.4m
- THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO – SONY – Week 1 – $2.4m – Running Total $2.5m
- THE MUPPETS – DISNEY – Week 1 – $2.3m – Running Total – $2.5m
- THE DESCENDANTS – FOX – Week 1 – $2.3m – Running Total – $2.3m
- ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS CHIPWRECKED – FOX – Week 3 – $2.2m – Running Total $13.9m
- 3d HUGO – PAR – Week 1 – $1.7m – Running Total $1.7m
- THE ADVENTURES OF TIN TIN – PAR – Week 3 – $980k – Running Total $13.1m
- WAR HORSE – DISNEY – Week 3 – $850k – Running Total $8.5m
- TOWER HEIST – UNIVERSAL – Week 3 – $750k – Running Total $8.8m
- THE IRON LADY – ICON – Week 3 – $740k – Running Total $6.7m
Yep the mighty SHERLOCK holds the throne for the 2nd week in a row followed by a triple hit of openers that all scored similar results! A great turn out for GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO in consideration its MA, runs 160 minutes and definitely is the most adult film in the market place, its a top result! (p.s. the film is AWESOME go see it!)
THE MUPPETS performed admirably against stiff family market competition being it’s the only non digitally animated family film thats in glorious 2d! With the juggernaut of ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS CHIPWRECKED, HUGO, HAPPY FEET 2 and PUSS IN BOOTS still in play THE MUPPETS has its work cut out for box office glory – competition is brutal for this market – but its certainly showing this franchise has legs. (p.s. the film is AWESOME go see it!)
George Clooney proves he still has his box office mojo with THE DESCENDANTS (this should surely win him a Best Actor Oscar) opening to a very solid $2.3m. A couple of years back he featured in UP IN THE AIR that released virtually on the same date Jan 14 2010. That film, another great dramedy, grossed $8.5m and this one looks to easily hit that mark and if the oscar noms and word of mouth spreads there’s no reason this puppy shouldn’t crack $10m locally. (p.s. the film is AWESOME go see it!)
Figures sourced from IBOE, MPDAA, BOX OFFICE MOJO.